Monday, August 18, 2008

Revived

Despite the blanket of exhaustion that is currently wrapped around me, I feel invigorated, revived, energized. I spent the past weekend down in Manhattan and then at the Jersey Shore (sounds cliche but is quite nice...at least Spring Lake where we were staying). I needed this...a weekend away, a weekend with too many options, too many possible activities, too many choices. I had to fly to NYC for a meeting w/my new client on Wednesday and then decided to take Thursday and Friday off to see some friends, bump around the city, and then head to my friends shore house in Spring Lake, NJ for a little sun and sand.

Every time I go to Manhattan, it peps me up. I feel alive. I'm not sure what it is because there are definitely times of feeling so minuscule there, but at the same time, it taps into the parts of me that don't get fulfilled that often...the desire to walk through gallery after gallery and gaze at var
ious types of art while listening to my iPod.

Cool record art in Chelsea gallery

Taking a stroll down a tree lined street and stopping into a used book store to peruse the first editions, smell the slight must of old books, feel the covers of delicately embossed old book covers. Pop into a little side street cafe, get a glass of wine and people watch for hours.

Delicious goat cheese and beet salad at W. Village cafe

Museum of Modern Art

Sit at a swank bar and order a far too expensive but oh so delicious cocktail who's only aftertaste is the sound of lounge music wafting through the beautiful interior. Dance the night away to loud beats and bartenders hopping up on the bar with sparklers in hand. Catching a movie premier at a random dive bar complete with a Mardi-Gras esque elephant protruding from the wall. Eating amazing food lit only by the soft glow of a candle and the slight red glow lighting up the walls of a beautiful restaurant complete with a band playing soft music in the background. It's overwhelming in the best way possible. That kind of stimulation, even over-stimulation, makes my blood flow, the color return to my face, the pep return to my step. I feel alive.


Following that up with a relaxing 2 days laying on the sand, listening to waves crash and then throwing on a sundress to sip cold, crisp white wine and play a game or two of bocce.

Spring Lake, NJ

Too many laughs, the total loss of my voice from singing along to a crazy cover band. Sand between my toes. Heaven. It
couldn't have been a better weekend.


GW Bridge at 11pm

No comments: