Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sweet and satisfying after bitter and bad

Yesterday was an interesting day. It was a Monday, which can always be a bit rough especially since I took Friday off so I was coming off of a 3 day weekend. The bitter and bad unfortunately refers to work. Things have been...well, surprising lately to say it nicely. I suppose my expectations and reality are not quite in line with each other and my non-work life is being affected more than I had expected or hoped. So, it's tough...forging through unexpected territory, trying to find my way and figure it out without getting totally bummed out. Not to mention the stresses of dealing with people who think they are the only account in existence (not co-workers or client, but other groups involved in the events I am working on). It made for a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth upon leaving work.

And then came the sweet and satisfying part of the day. First off, I put my new ice cream machine to work and made a delicious, no, ecstasy filled creation - Pina Colada sorbet. Divine. I wanted to eat it until it was completely gone and than lick the icy cold freezer bowl (visions of "A Christmas Story" danced in my head). Following my sweet post-work treat was another enjoyable event. It was finally nice out...warm, sunny, cool breeze. Oh how glorious a sun dress feels, flowing lightly against sun flecked legs, the breeze dancing across my bare shoulders as I strolled down to Church St. I met a new friend for drinks. This new friend I was introduced to through a Bostonian friend whom insisted that we would become instant friends. The new friend just moved back to Burlington. We had met once before but this was our first official "girl date". We sat outside at Half...a thing I have been dreaming of since the last day of summer last year. Mojitos and wine. Great conversation. So much in common it's almost like we came from the same pod. It's always exciting making a new friend. And it was such a positive note to end what had been a rough day.

Summer...oh how I've been longing for thee.

No comments: