Thursday, May 1, 2008

Catching up

It has been, fair to say, an extraordinarily long amount of time since my last post. Not to mention what a cliff hanger I left it at..anticipation of a recap of my trip to Istanbul. I'm currently sitting in a hotel in Montauk, NY preparing to go to bed before a long weekend of surf competitions. My new client, SoBe, is a sponsor of the Eastern Surf Association and this is their Northeast Regional competition. I was just in Myrtle Beach, SC last weekend for the Mid-Atlantic Regionals and it was a great event...so fun to spend a weekend on the beach with people who are just pumped to be there. Montauk is supposed to have highs of 53 and rain all weekend so the vibe will probably be a bit different, but hopefully some sun will peak through.

I will do a full Istanbul post this weekend, pictures and all. In short, it was a great trip in a great city...so full of color and sound and beauty. I was truly amazed.

I have to quickly reflect on my current location. I have traveled extensively, for pleasure and work, and therefore notice things that a less seasoned traveler may not. And because I am presently on a whirlwind tour, traveling for literally the next 6 weeks, I'm also acutely aware of interesting things. For instance, the hotel we are in does not have hair dryers or irons in the rooms, but it has a kitchen complete w/a stove and mini fridge. Interesting. We were given "ocean view" rooms...heaven. Our rooms in SC were the same and we literally were on the ocean. Ocean View in Montauk means something entirely different. If I crane my neck over my balcony, I can see a snippet of the ocean...hence "ocean view". However, we did just eat an amazing seafood prix fix meal at a local restaurant...asparagus soup, grilled mako shark with island veggies and a delicious fruit cup for dessert. It was delectable...so much so that I ate until I literally hurt. I love meals like that once in a while.

A lot has gone on recently. I went to Istanbul. The following weekend after my return I drove down to Boston and had the most amazing weekend visiting some girl friends down there...so much laughter, so many great conversations, so many funny happenings. Then I found out my apartment has been sold and the new owners will be moving into my apartment...my sanctuary, my home, my love. I am married to my apartment...I love it. I must say, I'm heartbroken to leave it. I have been frantically searching for a new place amidst being on the road constantly, not to mention the fact I will be gone during my supposed June 1st move out. I think I have decided to hold off unless I find something in the next week or two. I may move in with friends for June and July and then into someplace great in August...give myself more time to find something that is really me, that I will be able to really make my home. I have to admit. If I hadn't taken this current account and wasn't traveling like this, I would probably be looking for an apartment in another city. I'm feeling it...the winds blowing in a new direction, the smell of something unfamiliar, calling me it's way..what it is yet, I'm not sure. There have been many interesting happenings lately...the apartment, the travel, some out of the blue communication. Who knows what will happen in the next few weeks.

And now I must retire as the first heat in the competition is at 7am tomorrow which means we need to get there by 6:30am to set up. Think sunny thoughts for us...please. Goodnight moon.

No comments: