Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Attempting to become a runner

As I mentioned before, I opted into running a leg of the Vermont City Marathon relay. We have two teams so each person has a running partner and my leg of the race is 5.5 miles. Not that big of a deal really. However, I have spent the past 25 years of my life pretty much loathing running, especially outside. Convinced I was ill-equipped to run, legs that would never handle running properly, a mind that would always reject it. I'd go out and run a mile and decide I hated it so much I'd be done. So, once I signed up for this relay, I was in. I am not one to commit to something and then back out, no matter how much I may be second-guessing my decision...especially when other people are counting on me. So. Here I am...4 days before the marathon and preparing to run 5 miles tonight for the first time. I have been doing 3 and 4 mile runs consistently the past 2 weeks with decent results. Monday's 4 miler was a bad one..I decided to switch from my Nike Free shoes to my high end New Balance runners and that was a bad idea...shin splints throughout the run and really sore legs the next 2 days. So, I'm back to the Frees with a new pair arriving tomorrow that I'll test out Friday to see if they are worthy of Sunday's run.

This process, although it's only been about 3 weeks, has been interesting and exciting. I find myself really dreading runs but once I'm out there, and especially when I'm done, loving the solidarity of if, the mind clearing, the way I feel after I finished a good run. I enjoy having a goal, a reason to be running and that has really made all the difference. I have learned that my body is in actuality, not ill-equipped to run, it was my mind sabotaging the process the whole time. For me to think about the fact I've been running 4 miles is insane...I literally used to do 1.5 miles and feel like I'd run a marathon. I am athletic, I work out regularly, but for some reason running used to kill me. Now I don't let running hold the reins, I have taken control. I really hope that I continue to run consistently and become even better at it and incorporate it into my life for good. My sister runs marathons and now I'm thinking how fun it would be to do a marathon with her, perhaps we'll do a relay and each do a 1/2...I'm not sure if I have the attention span to run for 4 to 5 hours.

So. Tonight...5 miles. I have new running shorts, a new sports bra and am getting mentally prepped. I'm really excited about the relay, and really excited at how far I've come so quickly. It's amazing what you can do when you just change your outlook on things.

No comments: