Tuesday, January 22, 2008

When it is dark enough, you can see the stars

I started our new bookclub book this past weekend, Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. So far, it is a really good book and I find it hard to put down which is rare for me. I have to remind myself that our bookclub meeting will not be for another 3 weeks, possibly 4, and I don't want to finish it too soon and forget key parts.

Each chapter begins with a quote or saying. Chapter one began with what I have as the title to this blog - "When it is dark enough, you can see the stars". At first, I just liked the way that sounded and it's direct meaning. The past few nights I have been walking places at night and on multiple occasions I could feel a very strong light shining down. At first I would assume it to be a street lamp, but upon glancing up, I realized it was a big, bright white moon shining down. On nights that are so bitter cold you can barely feel your face after walking just one block, the sky seems to be 10 times more clear, the stars 10 times more visible, the moon 10 times more powerful. I love nights like this. I get lost in the moon, entranced by it. The glow it creates behind the few wispy clouds feels so magical.

I began to think more about that quote in terms of my life in general and realized it has a very direct relation to things going on in my life at present. Sometimes things become most clear when everything is turned off, all distractions put aside, everything removed from the situation for at least a bit. Sometimes clarity comes from stepping completely out of, and far away from the box. Sometimes it seems dark at first, scary, unpredictable. But then your eyes begin to adjust to the "dark" and slowly, the "stars" appear. We become so used to seeing things by the light of day, and sometimes are so scared of the dark and the loneliness that can sometimes accompany it, that we avoid the dark with all of our might. I think the dark can let all of our other sense perk up and absorb things we were oblivious to in the light. And then the stars appear and we are no longer lost, no longer wandering blind.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I read Greg Mortenson's book for a summer reading assignment. I was very inspiring and extremely well-written. It really shows you that one person CAN make a difference. I would definetly reccommmend this book to everyone.

Unknown said...

@Anum Can you help me with the summer assignment, i have it for a summer assignment too and it says to explain how each quote at the beginning of each chapter relates to that chapter. HELP!!!