Friday, January 18, 2008

Photog blog

A very exciting thing happened recently. An acquaintance of mine in town was supposed to display his photos at this cute bar/lounge in Winooski, but the timing was off and he wasn't ready to hang in time. Somehow I popped into his head as a good person to take over the walls. Luckily the walls in my house are adorned with various prints of mine, framed and ready to go so it was an easy decision for me. This will be my first real solo show. Although it is not a gallery, and although I've had a few prints up at a coffee shop, this feels like the first actual "show".
Photobucket

I must admit that I have been slacking on my photography lately. After finishing my darkroom class, things got crazy and I neglected the darkroom and my camera in general. Since I have never had a real show, or sold anything, I think I take it more lightly. But now having my own show, I realize what a passion it is of mine. I have begun to morph back into artist mode. I spent so much of my childhood and grade school years pursuing art, showing art, winning awards. My mom always encouraged me to consider art school if I felt that's the path I wanted to take.

It's so easy, as we get older, to neglect things we are good at because our time is consumed with our bill-paying jobs, house chores, self maintenance, etc. I am excited about my show and more excited about the resurgence of artistic energy I feel within. I have already begun thinking about future projects I want to do in hopes of acquiring another show, more shows, bigger and better shows. Here's hoping this show will open new doors for my photography.

No comments: