Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Music to my ears

I got into a conversation earlier this week with someone about music. I have conversations with people about everything under the sun, but I can't remember the last time music was the topic of the hour. It was a surprising conversation in that it involved the kind of substance I'd more often expect in a discussion of politics or art. Don't you love when that happens? You get sneak-attacked conversationally. 

Beethoven said, "Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life". I am horrible with song lyrics...actually, I'm worse with song names and artists. I listen to music for the melody, the beat, the notes. Lyrics are a total afterthought for me. I have come to realize that people are generally either a lyrics person or a melody person. Some people qualify a song as "great" based on the words it preaches, others on the notes it sends dancing through the air. Again, I'm absolutely a melody person. I think it may have to do with the fact I was trained in classical piano for over 10 years so my ear is based purely on notes. 

When a song I like comes on, I swear, my heart skips a beat when those first notes play, or when the first chorus plays. It sends flutters down my spine...almost like the feeling of a soft kiss...sensual and spiritual. I guess Beethoven was on to something there.

Some songs of the moment for me:
- "Train Song" by Feist and Ben Gibbard
- "Bruises" by Chairlift
- "Skinny Love" by Bon Iver
- "Hide & Seek" Morgan Page remix (Imogen Heap)
- "The Funeral" by Band of Horses
- "I'm Yours" (acoustic version) by Jason Mraz (I just came from a wedding, it rubbed off a bit)

I'm curiously to hear some other people's songs-of-the-week...I always love to find new music.

No comments: