Thursday, June 26, 2008

Physics and Good Samaritans

Last night I had an experience with physics and good Samaritans. I picked up a couch some friends were giving me and Kevin and I headed over to my place to get it up the stairs. I had pre-measured the couch and stairs to insure it would fit and knew that it would on certain sides. We get to house, make it in the front door, up the first set of stairs and are feeling good at our ability to turn and rotate this bad boy. Then we reach the landing to my stairs. Why do old houses have odd turns or skinny stair wells or low door frames or doors that don't match up? It took us many many attempts at pushing the couch through and straight up to get it through the frame at the bottom of the stairs. We tried every configuration possible and were within a centimeter of getting it. Then suddenly two people show up to help. They had been next door at the Bed and Breakfast and could see us struggling through the window so decided to come offer help. After about 30 minutes of attempts we finally jammed it through the door. Home free! Or so we thought. We begin to climb the last set of stairs only to realize that the couch is on the wrong side to fit through the door. And then we get stuck going back down. It was at this point that I decided if I had a chainsaw i'd just start hacking this thing to pieces and say the hell with it. I honestly thought there may be a couch stuck in my hallway permanently. We finally start to get it back down so we can rotate it to the correct side. All of a sudden the couch makes a lurch down the stairs...Kevin and I were on the bottom and had full control but during a quick step down my arm got caught up against a protruding outlet type box...a good inch protrusion from the wall. It pretty much tore across my arm in a fit of searing pain and agony. At first it seemed like nothing had come of it minus some compression pain. And then the massive bump, bruising and cut showed up. This photo is after much icing and cleaning.

The good news? We finally spun the couch onto it's correct side and after a few hard pushes to get through one door, we were in. Two and a half hours later. Kevin is a saint and I'm sure Emma was wondering what the hell was taking so long. Those random strangers from the B&B are also saints. And the best thing is...the lady was a Gator!!
She went to undergrad at Florida and was getting her Vet degree there currently. Talk about a small world, and how much that made me smile. It's true..."Through all kinds of weather we'll all stick together for F-L-O-R-I-D-A!"


Now I truly understand why furniture delivery charges and/or movers cost so much.

No comments: