Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentines Day...

Ah...February 14th. It is an interesting day to be honest. Some people use it as a day to make up for their poor behavior in a relationship. Some people use it to mask the major cracks in a relationship. Some use it to reconnect. Some use it as a good reason for some extra special lovin' with their special someone. Some use it as a day to be reminded of their single freedom, although on Valentines Day it can often feel less like independence and more like a dark cloud...a day where being alone is highlighted, hanging at every corner in neon lights, lingering in the empty mailbox.

Did you know that ancient Valentines Day rituals included sacrificing a goat and a dog? Shedding blood on the day of love. It seems a bit...I don't know, dark? Do you know an estimated one BILLION Valentines cards are sent each year? I am not sure I completely agree with excessive tree killing as a way to show someone you care...unless it is like what my office mate did (see below).

I loved elementary school days where everyone took a shoebox and spent hours making it beautiful and perfect, doilies, stickers, glitter, hearts galore, lace, you name it. Then everyone had to put a Valentine in everyones box. Of course you got extra special ones for your close friends. And then there was always the anticipation...will I get a special Valentine from my crush? Ah..the sweet bliss of innocent young love. Being 10 was great...love was free, love was without deep pain, love was a stolen kiss under the monkey bars.

I asked my office mate what he got his wife for Valentines Day. He wrote her a love letter. He nailed it on the head...what I consider would be the best Valentines Day present ever from the one you love.

I'm starring at the red velvet cupcake and the chocolate cupcake w/oreo hearts sitting next to me on my desk...starring and wondering if as they fill my stomach, will they fill the place that someone recently had...

Happy Valentines Day all. Don't forget to tell your family and friends you love them.

No comments: