Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Simple Pleasures

Sometimes I remind myself how essentially easy I am to please, how sometimes the smallest things give me the biggest smile. Current simple pleasures:
- Waking to new snow...white coated branches, bushes wearing a shawl of snow, fresh snow underfoot
- Snow falling...dancing through the air, eerily perfect silence as it falls
- My friends dog wagging his tail whenever they say my name to him
- A new puppy, full of fluffy new fur
- Having time to make a second latte before going to work
- Upcoming dinner parties
- The anticipation of an evening snowshoe
- 5 minutes of extra sleep
- A new recipe to try
- The smell of the almost expired narcissus flowers on my dining room table
- The little birds that nestle into the bare bushes beside my house...they chirp softly every morning as I walk by on the way to my car. I always say good morning
- A morning phone call from a friend and being a few minutes late to work because catching up was a perfect start to the morning
- The perfectly baked, soft, oatmeal chocolate chip cookie from Great Harvest
- Orchids. Always.
- A text or email with only the words "thinking about you"

Sometimes I forget that the small details are what really make up the big picture. In my job, this is what I deal with on a daily basis, making sure all the tiny minute details that no one sees are in place b/c without them the big picture would be incomplete. Life is similar. You can't build a chemical compound without first having atoms, you can't build a house without nails, bolts, caulking and other tiny items. They become the glue that holds the framework together.

No comments: