Friday, October 19, 2007

Doors and windows

Sometimes I hesitate when I hear a knock at the door...only opening it a crack, weary to open it all the way for fear of what might come whooshing in, out of my control. Sometimes I open a window and peak down at the door, see what's knocking. Once in a while, when I'm sure I know exactly what's at the door, I let them come in on their own...locks undone, door wide open. Am I too worried about what lurks in the darkness or realistic about what bad could come from a false sense of safety? Is it better to just leave the door unlocked and let the ways of the world take their course...fight off the bad, embrace the good?

I had a neighbor in college who used to sneak in and take things without asking. Did it make me more protective? Perhaps. Although I knew the items were in good hands, hands I trusted, maybe they took one too many items and changed my view.

Although I keep the chain on my door and remove it slowly, once I do remove the chain and let fully in, the door is always open, day or night, rain or shine, whether I'm home or not. An open door for me is an open ended ticket, all country pass to wherever you desire.

No comments: