Monday, September 17, 2007

Time and space

I'm really bad at calling people back...it's one of my faults and I openly admit it. This especially applies to far away friends that I don't see often, which seems backwards. But I think it's knowing that we'll be on the phone for hours catching up, so I have to make sure I have ample time to devote to the conversation.

I was online today and noticed that one of my best friends from college was now listed as single. A few months ago he called to tell me the big news that he was engaged, so naturally you can imagine my shock of seeing "Single" in his profile. I immediately emailed him asking what was up and to give me details ASAP. His response just about broke my heart. A girl he thought he was going to marry and spend the rest of his life with made a 180 and a lot of stuff happened in a month period...stuff I shouldn't mention here...stuff one can only hope they never have to go through. It made me sad...sad that I was only now finding this out although it had happened in early summer. This is a person who I lived with for a year in college with my two other best guy friends...one of three guys and a very small handful of people that really know me like no one else. Someone who was there for me when I was sick or stressed or sad. Someone who knows my ticks and idiosyncacies, what makes me laugh, what makes me cry. Someone who's mother knows me and used to ask to say hi to me whenver she'd call the house. Someone who, together with our other two guy roommates, gave me probably the best Valentines Day I'll ever have. A guy who I went to during one of the most down and out periods of my life and sat on his floor and begged him to tell me what to do. Someone I consider my family. How had I let so much time go by between talking? Not that I feel we need to talk daily or even weekly, but the fact we've gotten far enough apart to not call when major things like this occur...it truly saddened me.

I suppose on the flip side of things, we talked as if no time had passed really, minus the major update. We can always do that. Now we are trying to plan a trip, to take off and explore a bit, something we had always talked about in college.

The other thing it made me realize was just how much we've all grown up...people I spent every waking hour w/in college who are now getting engaged, getting their hearts broken, moving, getting PhD's, considering families, owning homes. I suppose some days we wake up and realize it's a later then we thought...later in the day, week, year.

No comments: