Friday, September 14, 2007

Back in the saddle.

Cody and I
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A little known fact about me - I rode horses very competitively for 10 years while in FL...in fact, I still own a horse who lives in FL. It was basically my life for 10 years. I rode probably 4-5 days a week and competed all year long. My horse lived at my house for most of that time so when I wasn't on the back of a horse, I was cleaning stalls, polishing tack, bringing her in or putting her out in the field, and other various barn tasks. I trained probably over 20 horses and ponies, rode dozens, and showed probably over a dozen different horses throughout the years. After leaving home to go to college, the amount of time I spent in the saddle was fairly limited. I got accepted onto the University of Florida Equestrian Team but didn't have enough time for it. I rode whenever I went to see my parents and occasionally went home to show other peoples horses on the weekends.

A few weeks ago I got back in the saddle and onto the back of Indie, a friend of a friend's horse, followed by Christina's horse Cody. Since that day, I have been riding a few times a week and last weekend competed in my first horse show in over 5 years. It was exhilarating. Cody did great for his first show doing jumping.

Many people find horses scary, or at least intimidating. To me, it is like home. When I am around horses, and especially on their backs, it's an escape, a retreat. The world slips away, my problems dissolve and things become more clear. When I had a bad day in FL, I would go straight to the barn and onto my horse, even if just to walk around. It is just natural to me, and has been from the first moment I began riding. There are very few sports I'm any good at, but riding is something I'm great at and can openly say that.

Being back in the saddle on a regular basis has brought peace to my daily life. I can't explain it but there really is no place like the back of a horse for me. I had a crazy intense encounter last week that really stressed me out but once I got to the farm and onto Cody, it melted away. The minute I am sitting in the saddle, I am home.

No comments: