Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Random Musing - Summer is in Swing

Farmers Market. A myriad of colors and smells, textures and shapes, edible and art. The Farmers Market is one of my favorite parts about summer. Sometimes I leave it with a single cucumber but it is so much more for me then just a place to pick up fresh veggies, fruit and more. Somehow it always seems to be sunny on Saturday mornings (knock on wood), birds are chirping, dogs are everywhere, the smells of the samosas and hibiscus tea fill the air. It's hard not to enjoy every second of the Farmers Market. Without fail, I always pick up my greens for the week - spinach and baby lettuce. I love it when a beautiful swirled orange and green heirloom tomato is staring at me, daring me to buy it and finally use that recipe I have been lusting over. Often times Becky and I will meet up and enjoy the Market together. We end it with Becky and her Tamale and me with a samosa or eggroll. It's the perfect way to start the weekend. It makes me think that I'm in Europe, strolling with the locals, enjoying the day.

BBQ-ing. There are two things that a BBQ reminds me of most - my dad's amazing charcoal grill and many Florida nights tending to various yummy treats on it, and Emma and Kevin's perfect flatbread sized round grill and flatbread nights. This, like the Farmers Market, has become synonymous with Burlington summers. Christina is great on the grill...always removing the items when they are done to perfection, still juicy and moist but with the perfect amount of external BBQ crispness. I have yet to test my skills on the grill.

Flowers. It is an absolute necessity for me to have at least one vase of fresh flowers in my house at all times, especially during the summer. Lately I have been noticing beautiful, random flowers popping up amongst the weeds in the empty lot beside my house. I am not sure who owns that little piece of land, but that doesn't stop me from sneaking into the weeds and snipping some lovely iris', lilies and various unknown other flowers. I enjoy knowing that these flowers don't grow and bloom and die amongst the weeds, hidden from public view by the bushes. They are loved and enjoyed by me, even if just through my window while their friends hang out in my living room. I recently planted some wildflowers in front of my house and eagerly await their arrival. They too will be fully enjoyed in various arrangements in my house.

No comments: