Monday, June 25, 2007

Judging, watching.

I landed at Speeder and Earl's at approximately 6:05 today and the next thing I knew it, it was 9:45 and I was on a bench across from Speeders...a good 2 hours into people watching. We somehow were bouncing between stories, anecdotes, random topics and confessions to pointing out a particular character, child or dog and analyzing their movement, companions, clothes, mannerisms. Sometimes not necessarily the nicest comments, others quite comical (one little toddler girl appeared to be drunk). It made me think about people like Ghandi and Mother Theresa...how, or did they truly, never judge people? Now, it is rare for me to think very malicious or horrible things about people, but I do internally (or in this case externally) comment on things such as the combination of a man with long, girl like hair, a belly shirt and mis-matched companion or the crazy man's ever shifting eye patch. Do these count against karma? Am I gradually causing myself one of those days where "nothing goes right" or is it one of those things that is truly natural and not included in your daily "star earning" score?

During these few hours of observation, a confession was made to me about an observation made about me which was not necessarily positive, but after hearing it, didn't seem so bad. But then again, I felt bad that it had caused a lack of communication and interest between two people that clearly get along well. So with that in mind, and amid the people watching that was going on, I have to remind myself that although it may be easy to judge someone as they stroll by, but to be sure that, if a one-on-one circumstance arises with that same person, to give them a fair chance. Apparently upon being given a chance at "redemption", I passed the test, so I suppose it can be true of others. Granted, I try to avoid shifting an eye patch and/or cross dressing without assuming some stereotypes will be given to me.

To judge and be judged...I suppose it goes on daily and will continue to go on forever. Is the answer to it really to just find a place where you truly don't care what others think, or is that, in reality, an unattainable goal? Do we ever really not care what at least one other person thinks?

No comments: