Saturday, November 6, 2010

Return to my childhood home

I'd be lying if I said I could focus on normal life right now. I'm so completely distracted by the recent development of travel. I will be flying from NYC to Honolulu, HI on Tuesday to visit a friend who's living there for the next 2 months to do live editing of the Vans Triple Crown of Surfing. It kind of came up last second and I was able to snag a ticket w/very few frequent flier miles (I mean, I have 200K of them) and have a house to stay at w/my friend and a few others there to work on the video production of the event. Not to mention I have all these vacation days that will be lost come January and I've been trying to take a vacay since September. So, stars aligned and in less then 3 days I'll be en route to paradise. So yeah...I'm having a little bit of difficulty focusing.

Beyond getting to see my friend Drew, a friend formed from another perfect aligning of stars last winter, I will be returning to my homeland! Yes, a little known fact is that I spent a few of my childhood years on the island of Oahu. My dad was stationed at Hickam Air Force Base for a few years...my dear ages of 3-7 years old. I have only 2 memories, literally, before Hawaii so essentially my life as I remember it started there...I'm a lucky girl, there is no doubt.

I think back to those years in Hawaii and they were some of the best. I'm definitely planning a trip by our old house, my elementary school, the place w/the amazing, huge, warm chocolate chip cookies, the Keyhole, Turtle Bay and more. It'll be like a reunion w/some of my favorite age years. I wonder what it'll feel like to see it again for the first time since I was 7...

No comments: