Monday, January 12, 2009

Triggers

Memory is such an awesome thing. I love when something triggers a very distinct memory...a smell, a song, a sight. Right now I'm listening to internet radio and the song "If I Had Eyes" by Jack Johnson just came on and I immediately was transported to "The Beach", a bungalow "resort" on Ko Phi Phi in Thailand. My sister and I discovered it a day or two into being on the island and they played JJ on repeat, which we loved (the music at some of the other daytime oceanfront watering holes, not good). I can picture us sitting on stools at the outdoor tiki bar, sipping what started out as a horrible mojito, but turned into a good one after we worked our cocktail magic. I can picture another afternoon there, Mai Tai in hand, lounging on the sun chaise, watching the longtails come in and out, gazing at Phi Phi Ley, watching the sun change the colors of the crystal waters.

I love that. Memory triggers. Smells and songs get me the most. If I smell honeysuckle, I'm immediately walking on campus at University of Florida. When I smell the original, fruit punch flavor of Minute Maid frozen juice mix, I'm transported to the driveway of our house in Hawaii. The song "What's Luv" by Fat Joe takes me back to this big party we held after campaiging for weeks for my friend who was running for student body president. The details of that songs involvement cannot be divulged, but it was a fun enough night to make me smile when I hear that night. Snow falling reminds me of certain words said, and of a night of coffee and the threat of a giant snowball.

I hope these triggers never go away. I hope one day, when I'm 95, that Jack Johnson song comes on and I'm once again transported back to Thailand.

No comments: