Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Elephantidae


As my below post states, I am soon to leave for an almost 2 week vacation in Thailand. My sister and I have been researching a bunch of different sights to see, activities, etc. and one of our high priority activities just got confirmed. A day with elephants!!!! And no, not some tourist crap of riding on a chair on their back for an hour w/a guide on their neck. Nope. We're going to learn how to bathe them and then ride them bare back ourselves!!! We found a great Elephant Conservatory that works for the good of elephants and saving ones from horrible situations of torture and mistreatment. They teach you about their health and diet, lifestyles, approaching and handling and then riding and bathing. It's going to be amazing. I cannot WAIT. I have a feeling that I'm going to become very attached to my elephant in the span of a day. I love giant creatures, riding them, interacting with them. I rode horses for 10 years and there's something about knowing you are putting yourself in the "hands" of an animal that could trample or kick or turn on you in seconds...something so powerful about creating a connection with such a powerful being. Elephants are so majestic to me...so humble. I think this will be one of the highlights of the trip. 

No comments: