Sunday, October 26, 2008

BTV to BKK

In less than 2 weeks (8 days to be exact) I will be heading to the BTV airport with a final destination of the BKK airport...also known as Bangkok, Thailand! I am peeing my pants in excitement. It's really coming. I'm really going. It has felt like a hellacious circus road trip trying to nail things down, get the plane ticket finalized, dates, and so on. My oldest sister Alli and I are going together so whereas I'm used to traveling solo and being on no one's schedule but my own, we were coordinating two schedules and two sets of ideas. But after many stressful nights and many Skype conversations, it is locked in and hotels are being confirmed. 

I have traveled extensively and it's the same feeling everytime I travel. I am excited yet I know I won't truly feel it until I land. Until I get the first whiff of the local air, the first sound of local traffic, the first taste of local food. Then it hits me. It comes on like a tidal wave. I feel excited and scared at the same time. Overwhelmed and at peace. I love it. I love the rush. Although I will have a travel partner therefore taking some of the nerves out of things, it still packs that punch. Not to mention she may not arrive until the evening after I get there. Travel makes me feel alive. It is a place in my life that I feel inspired and full and glowing. I can't explain it. 

Just knowing that in a week or so I will be stepping onto the first of 4 planes, I can barely believe it. I will fly from Burlington to Detroit, 4 hours in Detroit, then Detroit to Tokyo-Narita for a 3 hour layover and then Tokyo to Bangkok. I arrive in Bangkok at 12:30am on Thursday morning (after leaving at 6am Tuesday morning). We'll spend Thursday and Friday there and are taking a late flight Friday night up to Chiang Mai in the north. We'll spend 4 days there with potentially 1.5 of them spent trekking through the jungle on elephants. Then we'll fly from Chiang Mai down to the
 southern beaches, most likely to Ko Phi Phi, an island off of the western side (near Phuket and Krabi). We'll hopefully be staying in a beachfront bungalow and taking boat trips to other islands, getting Thai massages, lazying in hammocks, snorkeling and diving and just enjoying the gorgeous scenery. I've pulled some images from online and it makes me melt. 


I can't wait to be there. 

No comments: