Friday, March 28, 2008

Signs

Although I constantly preach that there are no coincidences, I am still constantly baffled by the world, the universe's ability to provide us with so much foreshadowing of things to come. I recently had a great example of this. Someone who was no longer in my life had recently been popping up here and there, randomly, and I was questioning the meaning of it, if there was anything beyond the blatant meaning of it all. And then yesterday I got my answer. It was foreshadowing of a run-in, a first interaction.

Is it just me or isn't it a sort of law that when someone asks "how are you?" regardless of how you are, you generally answer "good" or "great" or "doing fine". Maybe on a rare occasion to someone you are very close with you'd say "eh...i've been better" or "having a rough day". Last night I got the response "terrible". No joke. I didn't realize anyone actually responded to "how are you" with "terrible". I have to say, it was bizarre...bizarre, off-putting, and a bit sad. I do not know the root of the "terrible", I didn't inquire, but one has to wonder...what compels someone to be so bad off they would actually say "terrible"? Maybe there is a bit of a refreshing element in it, that someone would be so brutally, painfully honest? However, does saying out loud that you are doing terrible, just make it worse? The power of positive thinking...it's an interesting topic. An interesting theory.

I hope none of you are ever doing so bad, are so sad or stressed that you feel the need to say you are doing terrible. And if you are feeling that low, I hope you call me to talk instead.

No comments: