Tuesday, January 25, 2011

An anniversary


It's funny how sometimes we know something before we consciously recognize it. Earlier this evening I got the hankering to listen to The xx. I love them but I haven't actively played them in a few months so wasn't sure where the random need to play the album came from but who am I to argue w/the desire for some good tunes? I put them on and quickly melted into their hypnotic voices, smooth melodies.

It reminded me of my friend Tera, the one who introduced me to them. This in turn brought back a rush of memories of exactly when I first heard them...at the rental house we had on the oceanfront of Encinitas, CA where we were for a week for work. Descending the stairs to their hypnotic voices, smooth melodies with the sound of waves in the background and smell of coffee brewing in the kitchen. I can literally sense the cool tiles against my feet, the salty air and mist from the early morning sky.

I decided to give her a little shout out on FaceBook about this reminiscing and then it struck me. What is today's date? When was I in Jackson Hole last year? Valentine's Day. Count backwards...hold the phone, Encinitas was almost exactly one year ago. Had my mind known that and therefore triggered this desire to hear The xx, to be transported back there? I really think so. I think our minds have a stronger bank of recognition then we give it credit for...a greater ability to recognize the importance or significance of certain dates, times, places, smells.

The other day I was at yoga and I actually thought about this trip, particularly this one night, sitting on the beach after snowboarding at a secret spot all day. A cool air, a beach fire, a bottle of wine, a guitar and 3 great new friends. I went to this place during yoga as a place of peace, of feeling centered, feeling warmth.

I've traveled a lot and had many random happenings, interesting meetings, intense memories, but I must say that trip is one that will forever give me a smile, be a place of peace and balance in my mind, a sense of warmth and wholeness.

Happy Anniversary TD, DL and BB. All my love and happiness for our fortuitous weekend, sealing our lifelong friendships.

"When I find myself by the sea, in another's company by the sea. When I go out to the pier, gonna dive and have no fear." - The xx, VCR

No comments: