Friday, July 13, 2007

Summer travel

My job requires a lot of travel, predominantly in the summer. It really is a bittersweet perk. Traveling for work is what keeps me interested and inspired. At the same time, Burlington summers are pretty much the best. Last summer I was gone for basically the entire month of August, only popping back into Vermont for Emi and Kevin's wedding. This summer I have bopped around a bit for various events but the thick of it is yet to come.

I realized that I have the next 2 weeks and weekends in Vermont and am so excited! That is one great thing about being gone so much is I appreciate my time here that much more. I do, however, wish I had more travel during the bitter cold winter months.

I will be shipping out on July 26th for approximately 2 and 1/2 weeks. I go to Atlanta to throw a party for Harley-Davidson and squeeze in some catch-up time with old high school friends. From Atlanta I head directly to California. Luckily I have a day or two of down time so will be staying with some friends in Carlsbad who recently got married. Then straight from there to Carson, CA (aka south LA) for X Games...basically a week of event madness. Apres X Games I'll be scooting down to Del Mar to take a few days off and stay with my sister...a little R&R, beach time, good dinners, cooking w/my bestie aka sis, and recharge the batteries. Back to Burlington for 2 weeks and then to Rochester for a long weekend for the Major League Lacrosse Championship Weekend. Phew.

It can be pretty intense, suitcase living, but it has become second nature to me. One of the greatest things about my work travel is that events like X Games are a family...it's the same people every year and we all look forward to being reunited for a fun week. The friends I'm staying with in Carlsbad I actually met through events...he is the team manager for Spy Optics moto and bmx teams and we have been going to the same events for 3 years now. So between seeing old event friends and getting to visit high school friends and my sister, all coincidentally without having to pay for flights, it's a pretty sweet deal.

This kind of travel is so different, yet similar, to my pleasure travels. There is still the slight bit of anxiety before shipping off for multiple events, knowing clients will be there judging and watching. There are still many hours spent in airports and hotels and cabs and car rental counters. There is still the task of packing effectively for multiple types of outings, dinners, crowds, events, temperatures. There is still the reminder that I have to open up and meet people and create a bond quickly. It is invigorating and gives me a similar rush to my other travels.

No comments: